In Vitro Fertilization (In Vitro- Outside the body), is one of the most accepted Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) which is used for subfertility and infertility treatment for couples willing to conceive.IVF success rate in Pakistan is phenomenal. In this procedure, semen is collected, and to get a good sample, the man is advised to abstain from intercourse 4-5 days before the sample is taken, it is followed by mature eggs retrieval from the ovaries and fertilized in Laboratory by one of the two methods:
- Either conventionally by combining the eggs with the partner’s sperms in a petri dish, leaving it for 4-5 days (under favorable situations this method is preferred).
- Or by Injecting the sperm via ICSI ( intracytoplasmic sperm injection ) procedure directly inside the cytoplasm of the egg instead of waiting for it to penetrate on its own, this is helpful, especially for those having low sperm count or motility.
The embryos formed are left for 5 days and the best identified by an expert is implanted inside the woman’s uterine cavity, the unused embryos are frozen for future use as it would cost less than half of the fresh IVF cycle. After one round of IVF is completed second cycle is planned only when implantation isn’t successful, it is confirmed by a blood test to detect HCG levels.
IVF Success Rate in Pakistan / What Factors Impact the Success of IVF?
Just like anywhere else in the world, the IVF success rate in Pakistan is not more than 40% but, it still has a good take-home baby rate under favorable circumstances. There are several factors affecting the success rate that increase or decrease the chance of conception, some of them are:
IVF Success rate by Age of Female
The decline in success rate is seen in females above 35 years, which further decreases as age advances. According to Society for Assisted Reproductive Treatments (SART) for a female under 35 years of age, the chances of getting pregnant are around 42% which falls to 2-3% for females above 42 years of age. Therefore younger females are more like to conceive than older females, so it’s better to consult earlier and get the treatment rather than wasting time.
Quality of Eggs and Sperms
The quality of eggs and sperms play a key role in the success of IVF. Egg quality depends upon its chromosome number while the quality of sperm depends upon the number of chromosomes as well as its motility. A normal healthy egg contains 23 chromosomes when combined with the healthy sperm comprising 23 chromosomes creates a diploid embryo of 46 chromosomes in number.
Healthy endometrium of good pattern and thickness is yet another factor required for the successful implantation of the embryo, it is non-invasively assessed by Transvaginal Ultrasound.
If the female has a history of conceiving previously with the same husband the chances of IVF getting successful increase.
Number of Embryos Transferred
No of embryos transferred impact the success rate of IVF, In women under the age of 35 years, no more than two embryos should be transferred in a fresh IVF-ET cycle (II-2A) and for women under the age of 35 years with excellent prognoses, the transfer of a single embryo should be considered.
Studies have shown that parents who smoke and take drugs can affect egg and sperms quality, it is due to oxidative stress which is an imbalance between the free radicals and antioxidants in your body, the oxidative stress cause damage to the DNA of the cell, further affecting the fertilization and quality of embryo created by their fusion.
Maintaining a healthy BMI and proper nutrition intake leaves a positive impact on reproductive health, helping the couple to conceive naturally.
- Uterine abnormalities and ovarian dysfunction.
- Intra-Uterine growths/mass (such as fibroids)
IVF: What You Need to Know Before You Decide?
Before considering the option of IVF one should know:
- Health management and lifestyle modification are required for successful treatment. (Maintain a healthy weight, limit alcohol and tobacco intake,
- Other treatment options available
- The risk factors associated with IVF
- High cost of IVF (Estimate your finances)
- What to expect from the fertility treatment
- With a ray of hope to conceive, this procedure would bring the couple emotional stress.
- One complete cycle of IVF takes around 3 weeks
To go through this procedure couple is required to prepare themselves with a lot of patience, financial stability, and emotional support.
When IVF Is Not An Option?
IVF isn’t an option for couples when,
The male partner is completely sterile or has abnormal sperms, alternatively, donor sperms are used in western countries but not in Pakistan due to religious and cultural boundaries.
The female partner has an incompatible or absent Uterus, Premature ovarian failure, Connective tissue disorders (like; Marfan Syndrome and Eisenmenger Syndrome), active HIV, and certain medical conditions with complications (pulmonary hypertension, Class 3 & 4 Heart failure, etc)
In some conditions when a female can’t conceive through IVF, implanting the embryo in the uterus of a surrogate female is an option, or using donor eggs in cases of compromised eggs’ quality/unavailability as in postmenopausal females, but not in Pakistan due to religious and cultural boundaries.
Best IVF Center in Pakistan
- Best IVF center in Karachi
Concept Infertility Medical Center – Karachi
Concept Fertility Centre, Karachi
ART- Agha Khan University Hospital
- Best IVF Center in Lahore
Australian Concept Infertility Medical Center – Lahore
GENOVA IVF & Fertility Centre, Lahore.
Concept Fertility Centre. Lahore
- Best IVF Center in Islamabad
Australian Concept Infertility Medical Center – Islamabad
American Fertility Center
ICSI Pvt Ltd.
- Australian Concept Infertility Medical Center – Multan
- Australian Concept Infertility Medical Center – Rahimyar Khan
- Australian Concept Infertility Medical Center – Faisalabad
IVF Cost in Pakistan
There are many IVF centers in Pakistan and regardless of the stress that infertile couple has to go through what makes it difficult for them to go for IVF is the high cost. In Pakistan, the cost of IVF (in vitro fertilization) treatment is determined by a variety of factors, such as the type and complexity of the fertility issues being addressed, the method chosen for treatment, whether or not medications are needed, Number of IVF cycles and cryopreservation of embryos or woman’s eggs.
Generally, IVF in Pakistan can range from about PKR 70,000 to PKR 1,50,000 per cycle depending on these factors. The cost includes fertility medications, injections, and tests related to infertility, diagnosis, and treatment of the reproductive organs (such as the ovaries, and uterus if required). Moreover, this cost also covers procedures like embryo transfer and fertilizing an egg with sperm to create a fertilized egg. To get the best IVF treatment cost in Pakistan it’s important to consult an experienced fertility specialist who will be able to recommend an individualized IVF plan that fits your personal needs and budget.
Here at ACIMC, we have experts available for consultation, to provide you with the best treatment possible. Along with that, we try to make sure to lighten the emotional stress and financial burden making it easier for couples to carry on; if the female is under 30 years of age and has a sufficient egg pool, we try to treat the underlying cause of infertility that sometimes helps in conceiving naturally excluding the need of IVF. Besides this, we have some patient-friendly packages available without any hidden costs, keeping everything transparent it is discussed with the couple to offer the best one for them.
IVF Success Stories
ACIMC since 1998, throughout its promising journey of spreading smiles and filling lives with happiness and joy has successfully helped a lot of patients to conceive and deliver. ACIMC was awarded the “Best IVF Centre of Pakistan” by the Consumer Association of Pakistan, This IVF clinic being the first ISO certified in Pakistan and the one with the largest team of consultants has never compromised on quality, keeping patient care and support its priority. We have a bunch of stories to share from our fortunate patients:
- A PGD-positive patient with a history of 16 years of subfertility was finally conceived after being treated at Australian Concept.
- After having treatment from Australian Concept Mr. Karamat Ali & Mrs. Zaib Un Nisa finally conceived after 16 years of Subfertility.
- Mr. Asif & Mrs. Shazia Asif were treated at Australian Concept and conceived successfully after 8 years of Subfertility.
- Another couple after 15 years of subfertility conceived after getting treatment from the Australian Concept.
These are some of the many stories representing a good IVF success rate in Pakistan shared by happy couples after successfully being treated at Australian Concept. If you and your partner are facing difficulty in conceiving then it’s better not to waste time and get in touch with one of our experts for a free consultation at ACIMC.
Risks and Side Effects of IVF
While IVF increases the chances of getting pregnant, it carries certain risks and side effects too, it includes:
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS)- due to the induction of ovaries to retrieve eggs for IVF procedure ovaries can get hyper-stimulated.
- Decreased urinary frequency – may be due to transient elevation of the progesterone level
- Shortness of breath.
- Breast tenderness – due to high estrogen levels.
- Severe stomach pain, cramps, bloating, and constipation.
- Rapid weight gain within three to five days.
- The risk of miscarriages and multiple pregnancies is high with IVF.
- In addition, there may be risks associated with the implantation of a fertilized egg or embryo in the uterus.
However, these risks are lower with IVF than those associated with other fertility treatments. All potential side effects and outcomes should be discussed with your doctor before starting treatment.
1-Why is IVF done?
It is done to treat infertility/subfertility and to treat some health issues, for example:
Fallopian damage or blockage, ovulation disorders, endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, previous tubal sterilization or removal, impaired sperm production or function, unexplained infertility, genetic disorder, or fertility preservation for cancer or other health conditions.
2-Which Infertility Clinic has the highest IVF success rate in Pakistan?
ACIMC alone has achieved the highest IVF success rate in Pakistan and has helped 1000s of patients to fulfill their dream to conceive.
3-What is the IVF success rate by age?
IVF success rate is highest in women below 35 years which is 36-40%, and gradually by 40 years, it falls to 9%.